Ai (a superbly laconic Tomona Hirota) haunts the streets of Osaka dressed as a mascot. After going home with a stranger, she wakes up to find footage of their intimate encounter uploaded to a porn site. As all systems of recourse and remedy fail her, her sense of dislocation and alienation intensifies and Ai resorts to a strange solution.
Following the rap-inflected drama YAMATO (CALIFORNIA) and the globe-trotting TOURISM, Daisuke Miyazaki unveils another potent subversion of the so-called monolith of Japanese culture. VIDEPHOBIA unfolds as paranoid techno-thriller about identity, set on the backstreets of an industrial and multicultural Osaka captured here in beautiful, stark black-and-white. Concerns with obsessive image-making and issues of surveillance and consent in the digital age are embodied in the plight of a young woman from the city’s Koreatown; in an eerie film about the self – watching us as much as we watch it.
Paired here with the newly commissioned, companion short I’LL BE YOUR MIRROR, starring Tomona Hirota and Sumira Ashina.
directed by: Daisuke Miyazaki
starring: Tomona Hirota, Sumire Ashina, Shugo Oshinari, Sahel Rosa, Aki Morita
2020 / 89 min / 1.85:1 / Japanese Stereo
- Region Free Blu-ray
- High Definition Presentation
- Video Introduction by Director Daisuke Miyazaki
- Newly Commissioned Short Film, “i’ll Be Your Mirror” (2022, 9mins)
- Videophobia MV by Baku Feat. Jin Dogg, Nunchaku (Tatsuro Mukai, Kumi), Tomy Wealth
- Booklet Feat. An Interview With the Director by justine Smith and Behind-the-scenes Photographs
- Japanese Theatrical Trailer
- Optional English / Japanese / Chinese Subtitles
- 1 Transparent Sticker
- New Cover Art
- English SDH subtitles