Other Titles: Le sang du vampire / Il sangue del vampiro / La sangre del vampiro / Der Dämon mit den blutigen Händen
Directed by: Henry Cass
Country: UK, 1958
Running Time: 87 minutes + Extras
HE BEGINS WHERE DRACULA LEFT OFF!
Legendary actor Sir Donald Wolfit (Svengali, Room at the Top, Becket) joins British horror queen Barbara Shelley (Village of the Damned, Dracula Prince of Darkness, Quatermass and the Pit) in a lurid tale of ghastly experiments in a Transylvanian prison. Despite being staked as a vampire, the sadistic Dr Callistratus has become governor and is now using prisoners for the blood transfusions that keep him alive…
Produced by Robert S Baker & Monty Berman (Jack the Ripper, The Hellfire Club, The Saint), directed by Henry Cass (No Place for Jennifer, Castle in the Air, Happy Deathday) and written by notorious Hammer scribe Jimmy Sangster (The Curse of Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy), this long-awaited UK Blu-ray premiere has been remastered from original vault elements and is packed with bonus features.
Also starring Vincent Ball (The Black Rider, A Town Like Alice, Summer of the Seventeenth Doll), Victor Maddern (I’m All Right Jack, Circus of Fear, The Lost Continent), John Le Mesurier (The Hound of the Baskervilles, Eye of the Devil, Dad’s Army) and Bernard Bresslaw (The Ugly Duckling, Too Many Crooks, Carry On Screaming!)…
Dare you step inside the terrible place Callistratus calls “my other laboratory”?
• Newly Restored 1.66:1 Transfer of the Original Extended Version, with Restored Audio from Original Vault Materials
• Optional English and SDH Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
• New Audio Commentary with film critics Jonathan Rigby and Kevin Lyons
• Archival Audio Commentary with writer Jimmy Sangster, producer Robert S. Baker and Hammer Story author Marcus Hearn
• He Begins Where Dracula Left Off – Jonathan Rigby, author of English Gothic, discusses Blood of the Vampire and other early British horrors.
• Sangster and the Censor – Jonathan Rigby dusts off the BBFC’s notes about the film, explaining what was in, what was out – and what’s now back in.
• Barbara Shelley Trailer Reel
• Theatrical Trailer
• French / Italian Credits
• Extensive Image Gallery
• 1964 Malia Italian Fotoromanzo magazine
• Dr. Terror’s Vault of Horror — 1993 BBC TV introduction
Donald Wolfit, Barbara Shelley, Vincent Ball, Victor Maddern, William Devlin, Andrew Faulds, Brian Coleman, John Le Mesurier, Bernard Bresslaw, George Murdell, Barbara Burke, Hal Osmond, Colin Tapley, John Stuart, Henry Vidon, Theodore Wilhelm, Cameron Hall, Otto Diamant, Muriel Ali, Julian Strange, Bruce Whiteman, Max Beimmell, Dennis Shaw, Milton Read, Richard Golding.