A brooding occult horror with echoes of Bergman and Pasolini, The Righteous insinuates its way beneath the skin by way of an intelligent script, taut direction, and strong performances. Writer and actor Mark O’Brien (Ready or Not) pulls no punches as he confronts grief, guilt, faith and atonement in his remarkable directorial debut.
A former priest, Frederic Mason (Henry Czerny), anguished by the tragic death of his young daughter, finds himself wrestling with his religious convictions when a mysterious young man (Mark O’Brien) appears wounded on his doorstop in need of assistance. After he and his wife Ethel (Mimi Kuzyk) welcome him across the threshold and into their household, Frederic sees an opportunity for redemption in this mysterious and troubled lost soul, who might just be an emissary from God, or maybe the Devil…
Set amongst the bleak and forbidding landscapes of Newfoundland, crisply captured in tenebrous monochrome by cinematographer Scott McClellan, and featuring robust performances from all its cast members, The Righteous is a sombre supernatural chiller that builds to a memorable crescendo, and signals the emergence of a major new filmmaking talent.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
– High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
– Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
– Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
– Brand new audio commentary by writer, director and actor Mark O’Brien and editor Spencer Jones
– Cast and crew interviews with writer/director/actor Mark O’Brien, producer Mark O’Neill, actors Henry Czerny, Mimi Kuzyk, and Kate Corbett, editor Spencer Jones, cinematographer Scott McClellan, and production designer Jason Clarke
– Roundtable discussion with Mark O’Brien and Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, Tyler Gillett and Chad Villella of Radio Silence
– Stage Presentation and Q&A with Mark O’Brien and Henry Czerny from the World Premier at Fantasia International Film Festival 2021
– Grimmfest 2021 live-streamed Q&A with Mark O’Brien
– Original soundtrack
– Image gallery, accompanied by the film’s original score by Andrew Staniland
– Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned artwork by Grant Boland and Oink Creative