16An archetypal example of its genre, The Far Country is one of five superb westerns the screen legend James Stewart (Vertigo, Man of the West) made with acclaimed Hollywood auteur Anthony Mann (El Cid, The Man from Laramie).
Mann’s film tells of Jeff Webster (Stewart) and his sidekick Ben Tatum (Walter Brennen, My Darling Clementine): two stoic adventurers driving cattle to market from Wyoming to Canada who come to logger heads with a corrupt judge (John McIntire, Psycho) and his henchmen. Ruth Romain (Strangers on a Train) plays a sultry saloon keeper who falls for Stewart, teaming up with him to take on the errant lawman.
An epic saga set during the heady times of the Klondike Gold Rush, The Far Country captures the scenic grandeur of northern Canada’s icy glaciers and snow-swept mountains in vivid Technicolor. Mann’s direction expertly steers the film to an unorthodox, yet thrilling ‘all guns-blazing’ finale, whilst the imposing landscape takes on a whole new splendour in High Definition.
TWO-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
• Two presentations of The Far Country in both original aspect ratios of 1.85:1 and 2.00:1
• Brand new 4K restoration from the original film elements by Arrow Films
• Original 1.0 stereo audio
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Limited edition booklet with new writing on the film by Philip Kemp and original reviews
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the film in its original aspect ratio of 1.85:1
• New audio commentary by film scholar Adrian Martin
• American Frontiers: Anthony Mann at Universal, an all-new, feature-length documentary with Mann biographer Alan K. Rode, western author C. Courtney Joyner, script supervisor Michael Preece, and critics Michael Schlesinger and Rob Word
• Mann of the West, a newly filmed appraisal of Far Country and the westerns of Anthony Mann by the critic Kim Newman
• Image gallery
• Original trailer
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the film in the alternate original aspect ratio of 2.00:1
THIS IS A PREORDER DISC THAT IS DUE TO BE RELEASED ON OR ABOUT 11/12/2019
ALL ITEMS ORDERED TOGETHER WILL BE CHARGED AT THE TIME OF THE ORDER
AND SHIP TOGETHER WHEN EVERYTHING IS IN STOCK. PLEASE PLACE MULTIPLE
ORDERS IF YOU WISH TO HAVE ITEMS SHIPPED AS THEY ARRIVE
WE ONLY OFFER STORE CREDIT FOR THE CANCELLATION OF ANY PREORDER
ALL DETAILS, INCLUDING RELEASE DATE ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE