Riding high on their successful adaptations of Edgar Allan Poe, Roger Corman and American International Pictures took on that other titan of literary terror, H.P Lovecraft, in The Dunwich Horror!
Dean Stockwell stars as Wilbur Whateley, a mysterious young man who travels from the small town of Dunwich to the library of the Miskatonic University which holds one of the only copies of the Necronomicon, a legendary book of occult lore that Wilbur hopes to borrow. Graduate student Nancy Wagner (Sandra Dee) falls under his malign influence and travels with him back to his home where Wilbur has plans to use her in a ritual to raise ‘The Old Ones’, cosmic beings from another dimension. But who, or what, is in the locked room at the top of the stairs? And what will happen if they get out?
Directed by Daniel Haller, genius art director of numerous Corman classics, this was also the first screenwriting credit for Curtis Hanson, who would later direct the multi award-winning L.A. Confidential. Newly restored by Arrow Films from the original 35mm camera negative, The Dunwich Horror is among the most successful Lovecraft adaptations ever committed to film, and it has never looked better.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
– New 2K restoration by Arrow Films from the original camera negative
– High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
– Original lossless mono audio
– Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
– New audio commentary by Guy Adams and Alexandra Benedict, creators of the audio drama Arkham County
– The Door into Dunwich, a new conversation between film historian Stephen R. Bissette and horror author Stephen Laws in which they discuss The Dunwich Horror, Lovecraft, and their memories of seeing the film on release
– After Summer After Winter, a new interview with science fiction and fantasy writer Ruthanna Emrys, author of The Innsmouth Legacy series
– The Sound of Cosmic Terror, new interview with music historian David Huckvale in which he takes a closer look at Les Baxter’s score for The Dunwich Horror
– Theatrical trailer
– Image gallery
– Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Luke Preece
GUARANTEED THROUGH PREORDERS ONLY FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by film critics Johnny Mains and Jack Sargeant”