SWORD OF SHERWOOD FOREST (Terence Fisher, 1960)
A CHALLENGE FOR ROBIN HOOD (C M Pennington-Richards, 1967)
Limited Edition Blu-ray (UK and World Blu-ray premieres)
Britain’s best-loved outlaw gets the Hammer treatment in Robin Hood at Hammer: Two Tales from Sherwood Forest.
For 1960’s Sword of Sherwood Forest, Richard Greene (The Blood of Fu Manchu, The Castle of Fu Manchu) reprises the role he made famous in the classic television series The Adventures of Robin Hood. Directed by Terence Fisher (The Gorgon, The Revenge of Frankenstein), and starring Peter Cushing (The Devil’s Men, Corruption) as the dastardly Sheriff of Nottingham, the film sees Robin Hood thwart a plot to assassinate the Archbishop of Canterbury (Jack Gwillm, Jason and the Argonauts, The Curse of the Mummy’s Tomb). The film also boasts an uncredited early role for Oliver Reed (The System, The Damned).
In 1967’s A Challenge for Robin Hood, Barrie Ingham (The Day of the Jackal) dons the Lincoln green as he and his merrie men hide out in Sherwood Forest after his cousin (Peter Blythe, Frankenstein Created Woman) frames him for murder. This action-packed adventure features acting support from Gay Hamilton (Barry Lyndon, The Duellists) and Leon Greene (Adventures of a Private Eye, Adventures of a Plumber’s Mate).
This 2-disc Limited Edition set contains a double-sided poster, an 80-page book, and extensive new and archival extra features, including the much-loved Children’s Film Foundation film Robin Hood Junior (1975), starring Keith Chegwin (Multi-Coloured Swap Shop, Cheggers Plays Pop) as the diminutive hero.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
- High Definition remasters of Sword of Sherwood Forest and A Challenge for Robin Hood
- Original mono audio
- Audio commentary on Sword of Sherwood Forest with author and critic Kim Newman (2022)
- Audio commentary on A Challenge for Robin Hood with film historians Kevin Lyons and Jonathan Rigby (2022)
- The BEHP Interview with Sidney Cole (1987): archival audio recording, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project, featuring the Sword of Sherwood Forest producer in conversation with Alan Lawson, Arthur Graham and Rodney Giesler
- The BEHP Interview with C M Pennington-Richards (1990): archival audio recording, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project, featuring the director of A Challenge for Robin Hood in conversation with Alan Lawson and Colin Moffat
- Jonathan Rigby on ‘Sword of Sherwood Forest’ (2022): appreciation by the author and film historian
- Kim Newman on Robin Hood (2022): the author and critic surveys the many cinematic portrayals of the world-famous English outlaw
- Hammer’s Women: Vanda Godsell (2022): profile of the British stage and screen performer
- Hammer’s Women: Irene Lamb (2022): profile of the casting director whose career encompassed many Hammer productions, Star Wars, and the films of Sally Potter
- Appreciations of the Alun Hoddinott and Gary Hughes scores by David Huckvale, author of Hammer Film Scores and the Musical Avant-Garde
- Robin Hood Junior (1975): Children’s Film Foundation spin on the folk hero starring actor and television presenter Keith Chegwin as the young outlaw
- Original theatrical trailers
- Image galleries: on-set and promotional photography
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Limited edition exclusive 80-page book with a new essay by Frank Collins, archival interviews and articles, Jeff Billington on Robin Hood Junior, an overview of contemporary reviews, and film credits
- Limited edition exclusive poster
- UK and world premieres on Blu-ray
- Limited edition of 5,000 copies for the UK
Extras subject to change
BBFC cert: PG
THIS IS A REGION B DISC. PLEASE SEE THE FAQ IF YOU ARE UNSURE IF YOU CAN PLAY IT