Poison is the second feature directed by Todd Haynes, the Oscar®-nominated filmmaker of Far from Heaven and Carol. It is a groundbreaking American Indie and a trailblazing landmark of queer cinema. A work of immense visual invention, Haynes’ spectacular follow-up to his legendary Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story is audacious, disturbing and thrillingly cinematic.
Inspired by the writings of Jean Genet, Poison deftly interweaves a trio of transgressive tales—“Hero,” “Horror” and “Homo”—that build toward a devastating climax. “Hero,” shot in mock TV documentary style, tells a bizarre story of suburban patricide and a miraculous flight from justice; “Horror,” filmed like a delirious ’50s B-movie melodrama, is a gothic tale of a mad sex experiment which unleashes a disfiguring plague; while “Homo” explores the obsessive sexual relationship between two prison inmates.
A runaway hit which made national headlines when it was attacked by right-wing politicians, Poison is unsettling,
unforgettable and thoroughly entertaining.
• New introduction by director Todd Haynes
• Sundance Q&A with Todd Haynes, producer Christine Vachon and executive producer James Schamus, for the 20th Anniversary of the film’s Grand Jury Prize
• Archival 1999 audio commentary by Haynes, Vachon, and star/editor James Lyons
• Booklet essay by Dennis Lim, Director of Programming at Film at Lincoln Center
• Last Address, a short film by Ira Sachs (2010)
• Original 1991 U.S. theatrical trailer
THIS IS A PREORDER DISC THAT IS DUE TO BE RELEASED ON OR ABOUT 6/29/21
ALL ITEMS ORDERED TOGETHER WILL BE CHARGED AT THE TIME OF THE ORDER
AND SHIP TOGETHER WHEN EVERYTHING IS IN STOCK. PLEASE PLACE MULTIPLE
ORDERS IF YOU WISH TO HAVE ITEMS SHIPPED AS THEY ARRIVE
WE ONLY OFFER STORE CREDIT FOR THE CANCELLATION OF ANY PREORDER
ALL DETAILS, INCLUDING RELEASE DATE ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE