For her feature film directing debut, actress Mai Zetterling turned to Agnesvon Krusenstjerna¹s controversial masterpiece of Swedish feminist literature, The Misses von Pahlen, an intense and personal 7-part novel has been likened to the great works of D.H. Lawrence.
As three pregnant women from different backgrounds wait to have their babies in a hospital in Stockholm at the outbreak of the Great War, they relive their childhood and youthful experiences via individual flashbacks.
Drawing on the classic Ingmar Bergman style of Swedish film making and collaborating with many of his favorite actors as well as the great cinematographer Sven Nykvist, Zetterling has produced a powerful fusion of personal emotional drama and a commentary on the role of women in a society in moral decline.
- NTSC Region 1
- Available Subtitles: English, French
- Available Audio Tracks: Swedish (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono)
- The War Game (1962), Mai Zetterling¹s 15-minute short film (Best Short Film winner at the Venice Film Festival)
- Mai Zetterling biography and filmography
- 12-page booklet featuring Filming LOVING COUPLES by Mai Zetterling, and full cast and credits