All of the film you are about to see is real,” it begins. “Nothing has been staged.”
In 1981, filmmakers Sheldon Renan and Academy Award® nominee Leonard Schrader (KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN, MISHIMA, BLUE COLLAR) created a graphic and provocative examination of America’s history with – and penchant for – senseless violence, mass shootings and cold-blooded murder. It was condemned as “exploitive and obscene” (The New York Times), acclaimed as “among the most controversial documentaries in the history of cinema” (Fantasia Festival), and never distributed, televised or made available for sale in the United States. Ex Film presents this infamous ‘shock doc’ fully restored, uncut and loaded with exclusive Bonus Features – including the even more unnerving Japanese version known as VIOLENCE U.S.A. – which remains one of the most profoundly disturbing and still chillingly relevant documentary experiences of our time.
Finally available in Australia!
Features for this Blu-ray edition include:
– English Language Version 2k Scan From Original Negative (95 mins.)
– Japanese Language Version 2k Scan From Original Negative (115 mins.)
– Audio commentary with director Sheldon Renan
– Interview with director Sheldon Renan
– Interview with editor Lee Percy
– Interview With Mondo Movie historian Nick Pinkerton
– 84 page booklet containing liner notes, ad mats, theatrical and home video art.
– Reversible sleeve featuring a homage to the original Palace Explosive home video release
– Enamel pin featuring the iconic key art