Before his commercial breakthrough with Boogie Nights (1997), writer/director Paul Thomas Anderson made this low-key drama. John (John C. Reilly), a half-bright loser stranded in Reno, is down to his last few bucks when Sydney (Phillip Baker Hall), taking pity on him, buys him breakfast and offers him a few tips on making money in the casinos. Two years later, John has become Sydney’s partner, but his lack of common sense goes from problematic to dangerous when he falls in love with Clementine (Gwyneth Paltrow), a cocktail waitress who isn’t above turning a few tricks when she needs to make money — and isn’t any brighter than John.
Special Features and Technical Specs:
- 1080p presentation of the film on Blu-ray
- Audio commentary by director Paul Thomas Anderson and actor Philip Baker Hall
- Audio commentary by director Paul Thomas Anderson, actor Philip Baker Hall, Michelle Satter (Sundance Film) and various crew members
- Deleted scene: “The Kiss”
- Sundance Institute Filmmaker Lab scenes.
- English HOH Subtitles
- Theatrical Trailer
- Limited Edition slipcase on the first 1500 copies.