101 Films presents Ghostwatch (1992), a BBC production that terrified Britain on 31st October 1992. Despite being part of BBC Drama’s Screen One series, the presence of trusted presenters, along with the quality of the production, convinced thousands of people that the events depicted on screen were genuine, and taking place live. This 30thanniversary edition includes a new documentary on the making of Ghostwatch, a new commentary, limited edition packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork, a booklet with new writing on the film and more.
Sarah Greene and Craig Charles report from a reputedly haunted London home for the outside broadcast, while Michael Parkinson and Mike Smith stay in the warmth and “safety” of a BBC studio. The Early family are allegedly being harassed by the ghost ‘Pipes’, so named as his banging and crashing were initially attributed to bad plumbing. After a deliberately slow start the tension gradually builds, culminating in a terrifying crescendo. Although entirely fictional, the masterly combination of great scripting, intuitive direction and perfect casting made the supernatural pastiche appear frighteningly real.
An inspiration to a generation of filmmakers, and years ahead of the profusion of found footage movies that would follow, Ghostwatch is regarded as a classic of the genre and remains as relevant, as terrifying, and as inspirational today.
Brand new extras
- NEW! 30th Anniversary feature length documentary
- NEW! Audio Commentary with film historians Dr. Shellie McMurdo (University of Hertfordshire/University of Roehampton) and Dr. Stella Gaynor (University of Salford)
- Archival commentary with writer Stephen Volk, producer Ruth Baumgarten and director Lesley Manning
- ‘Shooting Reality’ featurette by Lesley Manning
- LE FIRST PRESSING ONLY: 32 page softcover booklet *
- LE FIRST PRESSING ONLY: ‘Ghostwatch’ Slipcase / Slipcover