Set at an unspecified past time in a world ruled by superstition, a reclusive potter nicknamed ‘Dragon’, is exiled from his isolated homestead. He returns years later, aiming to win back the trust of the villagers – but faces suspicion, guilt, and simmering violence.
A key film from Slovak cinema’s golden era, Eduard Grečner’s film is a radical fusion of ancient folklore and experimental modernism. Shot in luminous monochrome andboasting an extraordinary score by Ilja Zeljenka, it is an elemental vision of a world lost in time.
“An intersection between modern art and folk culture… an eternal ballad about the
essence of life” Peter Hames, Czech and Slovak Cinema: Theme and Tradition
“A compelling film, surely as exciting today as it was originally” Senses of Cinema
Blu-ray Special Features:
• Dragon’s Return (Drak sa vracia, 1967) presented from an HD transfer of the new 2K
restoration by the Slovak Film Institute.
• On ‘Dragon’s Return’ (2022): a new and exclusive documentary on the film, with the
special participation of director Eduard Grečner.
• A newly filmed introduction by Rastislav Steranka of the Slovak Film Institute.
• An exclusive, archival filmed appreciation of the film by Czech and Slovak cinema
expert Peter Hames (2015).
• 20-page booklet featuring an essay on the film and an interview with Eduard Grečner
by author Jonathan Owen.
• New and improved English subtitle translations.
• World premiere on Blu-ray.
• Region Free (A/B/C) Blu-ray.
THIS IS A PREORDER DISC THAT IS RELEASED IN THE UK IN OCTOBER 2022. WE WILL EXPECT TO HAVE THEM IN STOCK AND SHIPPING AFTER RELEASE. WE CANNOT SHIP IMPORTS BY STREET DATE
ALL ITEMS ORDERED TOGETHER WILL BE CHARGED AT THE TIME OF THE ORDER
AND SHIP TOGETHER WHEN EVERYTHING IS IN STOCK. PLEASE PLACE MULTIPLE
ORDERS IF YOU WISH TO HAVE ITEMS SHIPPED AS THEY ARRIVE
WE ONLY OFFER STORE CREDIT FOR THE CANCELLATION OF ANY PREORDER
ALL DETAILS, INCLUDING RELEASE DATE ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE