(William Wyler, 1965)
Release date: 24 September 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere)
The great Hollywood director William Wyler (Jezebel, Wuthering Heights, The Heiress, Ben-Hur) took John Fowles’ celebrated novel and turned it into one of the finest – and most controversial – psychological thrillers of the 1960s.
A lonely, unbalanced young butterfly collector (Terence Stamp, Far from the Madding Crowd, The Mind of Mr. Soames, Superman II) stalks and abducts a young art student (Samantha Eggar, Psyche 59, The Brood), keeping her imprisoned in a stone cellar as if she were one of his specimens.
Stamp and Eggar won Best Actor prizes for their roles at the 1965 Cannes Film Festival, and the film remains a surprising and often shocking depiction of psychotic obsession.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
• 2K Restoration
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with author and film historian Neil Sinyard
• Interview with Terence Stamp (2018): a new interview with the iconic actor
• Interview with Samantha Eggar (2018): a new interview with the award-winning actor
• Richard Combs on ‘The Collector’ (2018): a new appreciation of the film by the renowned critic, lecturer and broadcaster
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: promotional photography and publicity material
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Carmen Gray, an overview of contemporary critical responses, historic articles, and film credits
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
• All extras subject to change
BBFC cert: 15