|Famously described by Ingmar Bergman as a "work of genius", Peter Watkins' multi-faceted masterpiece is more than just a bio-pic of the iconic Norwegian Expressionist painter. Focusing initially on Munch's formative years in late 19th Century Kristiania (now Oslo), Watkins uses his trademark style to create a vivid picture of the emotional, political and social upheavals that would have such an effect on his art.
The young artist (Geir Westby) has an affair with "Mrs Heiberg" (Gro Fraas), a devastating experience that will haunt him for the rest of his life, and his work is viciously attacked by the critics and public alike. He is forced to leave his home country for Berlin, where, along with the notorious Swedish playwright August Strindberg, he becomes part of the cultural storm that is to sweep Europe.
This is the Extended TV Version running over 40m longer than the theatrical version
- NTSC Region 1
- English/Norwegian (Dolby Digital 2.0)
- English and French Subtitles
- Extended TV Cut
- 2-DVD Special Edition
- Original, extended European TV version
- Includes three documentaries on Munch and contemporaries
- Unique 9.5mm footage shot by the artist himself in 1923
- 24-page collector's booklet